Received: 17 August 2018; Published on-line: 26 October 2018
Vitrectomy in an eye with unsuspected retinoblastoma
N.F. Bobrova, Dr. Sc. (Med.), Prof.; V.V. Vit, Dr. Sc. (Med.), Prof.; T. A. Sorochynska, Cand. Sc. (Med.);
A.V. Artemov, Cand. Sc. (Med.); T.V. Romanova, Cand. Sc. (Med.); T.I. Komarnytska
SI “The Filatov Institute of Eye Diseases and Tissue Therapy of the NAMS of Ukraine”;
Background. Retinoblastoma (Rb) cases with atypical clinical manifestations, which lead to error diagnosis and inadequate treatment, have become more frequent over the last years.
Purpose. To describe and to analyze a clinical picture, diagnostics, and treatment of vitrectomy performed in an eye with unsuspected Rb resulted in pre-operational diagnostic error.
Material and Methods. A patient B., aged 5 years 7 months, with unsuspected Rb in the right eye was performed pars plana vitrectomy in local health facilities.
Results. After vitrectomy, pseudohypopyon, silicone oil, and cataract were observed in the anterior chamber of the right eye. Ultrasound scanning was not informative due to a shadowing effect of the silicone oil in the vitreous. Fine needle aspiration of pseudohypopyon revealed a great number of cells, supposedly, of retinoblastoma or retinal lymphoma. It was magnetic resonance tomography that could reveal the signs of tumor. The right eye was enucleated. Pathohistological examination showed undifferentiated multifocal Rb with tumor nodules in the optic nerve in equator and with 1-2.0 mm invasion in the choroid in the optic nerve within the cribiform plate. Adjuvant polychemotherapy (carboplatin-etoposide-vincristine protocol) and gamma-ray teletherapy were prescribed to prevent hematogenous metastasis and orbital recurrence of retinoblastoma.
Conclusions. Vitreactomy in the eyes with untreated Rb contributes to tumor cell seeding in the numerous eye structures and can affect the survival.
Keywords: unsuspected retinoblastoma, vitrectomy, pseudohypopyon, enucleation
- Brovkina AF. [Modern concept of retinoblastoma treatment]. Vestn Oftalmol. 2005;2:48-51. Russian.
- Bobrova NF, Sorochinskaia TA. [Clinical and diagnostic features of retinoblastoma in Ukraine]. Proceedings of Scientific and practical conference “Current problems of ophthalmology”. Ufa. 2009:778-83. Russian.
- Bobrova NF, Naumenko VA, Sorochinskaya TA, Tronina SA, Dembovetskaya GM. [Diagnosis and treatment of children with malignant tumor of the retina — retinoblastoma in Ukraine (protocols)]. Oftalmol Zh. 2012;1:80-4. Ukrainian.
- Epstein J, Shields C, Shields J. Trends in the management of Retinoblastoma: Evaluation of 1196 consecutive eyes during 1974 to 2001. J. Ped. Ophtahal & Stabismus. 2003;40(4):196–203.
- Bobrova NF, Vit VV. [Atlas of congenital and inherited diseases of the eye]. Odessa: Palmira; 2006:68-9. Russian.
- Bobrova NF, Sorochinskaia TA. [Atipical clinical picture of retinoblastoma]. Rossiiskaia pediatricheskaia oftalmologiia. 2009;4:25-9. Russian.
- Bobrova NF, Sorochinskaia TA, Vit VV, Melikov GG. [Mistakes in diagnosis and treatment of retinoblastoma]. Oftalmol Zh.2011;6:59-61. Russian.
- Shields CL, Pefkianaki M, Regillo CD et al. Rhegmatogenous retinal detachment after intraarterial chemotherapy for retinoblastoma. Retina. 2017; Aug; 37(8):1441–1450.
- Honavar, Shields CL et al. Intraocular Surgery After Treatment of Retinoblastoma. Arch Ophthalmol. 2001;119(11):1613–21.
- Moshfeghi DM, Wilson MW, Grizzard S et al. Intraocular Surgery After Treatment of Germline Retinoblastoma. Arch Ophthalmol. 2005;123(7):1008–12.
- Pasyechnikova NV, Bobrova NF, Naumenko VO, Sorochinska TA, Levitskyi IM. [A technique for enucleation of the eyeball in retinoblastoma]. Patent of Ukraine No 2014 05175 from 10 October 2014, Bul.No1. Ukrainian.
- Stevenson KE, Hungerford J, Garner A. Br J Ophthalmol. 1989 –Sep; 73 (9):739–42.
- Shields CL, Honavar S, Shields JA, Demirci H, Meadows AT. Vitrectomy in eyes with unsuspected retinoblastoma. Ophthalmology. 2000; Dec;107(12):2250–5.
- Xun-da JI, Shang-lin LU and ZHAO Pei-quan. Vitrectomy for localized vitreous seeds of retinoblastoma in an only eye. Chinese Medical Journal. 2013;126 (13).
- Kovalevskii EI, Tsyganko TA, Sidorov EG, Belkina BM. [A case of retinoblastoma in adult. In Book: Age-related features of the eye in health and disease]. M.:1971; 227-8. Russian.
- Abramson DH, Ellsworth RM, Grumbach N et al. Retinoblastoma: correlation between age at diagnosis and survival. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 1986;23:174–7.