Efficacy of neuroprotective treatment including pyrimidine nucleotides in secondary uveitic glaucoma
V. V. Savko Snr, Dr Sc (Med), V. V. Savko Jnr, Cand Sc (Med)
Filatov Institute of Eye Disease and Tissue Therapy of NAMS of Ukraine; Odessa (Ukraine)
Background: Secondary glaucoma is found in 18% to 38% of patients with uveitis, and is one of the most severe uveitic complications. The glaucomatous process is characterized by the progressive optic nerve neuropathy. The lack of efficacy of conventional neuroprotective approaches urged us to search for novel medications capable of stabilizing glaucoma.
Purpose: To investigate the efficacy of neuroprotective treatment with pyrimidine nucleotides for secondary uveitic glaucoma.
Materials and Methods: Patients with secondary uveitic glaucoma were divided into the study group (23 patients; 23 eyes) and the control group (21 patients; 21 eyes). The multicomponent neuroprotective treatment of the study group (but not of the control group) included a direct neuroprotector, Nucleo CMP Forte® drug containing two pyrimidine nucleotides, cytidine 5'-monophosphate and uridine 5'- triphosphate. The group received 2 ml of the drug intramuscularly daily for 10 days, and, thereafter, 2 capsules orally twice daily for 20 days. Each patient underwent visual acuity measurement and perimetry. In addition, phosphene threshold current (PTC) and critical frequency of phosphene (CFP) were determined.
Results: Although no improvements in functional characteristics of the visual system were observed in the control group, the use of the pyrimidine nucleotide-containing drug as a component of therapy for uveitic glaucoma contributed to a 39% improvement in visual acuity, 17% increase in total visual field, 22% decrease in PTC, and 23% increase in CFP compared with baseline. Our long-term findings evidence that glaucoma was stabilized with neuroprotective therapy including, in particular, Nucleo CMP Forte, with generally maintained peripapillary RNFL thickness.
Conclusion: The use of the pyrimidine nucleotide-containing drug as a component of therapy for uveitic glaucoma promoted an improvement in visual function and contributed to stabilization of glaucoma over 6-8 months
Keywords: secondary uveitic glaucoma, functional characteristics of the visual system, optical coherence tomography, pyrimidine nucleotides
- Savko VV. [Efficacy of pathogenetically oriented treatments for recurrent uveitis]. [Abstract of Dr Sc (Med) Dissertation]. Odesa: Filatov Institute of Eye Disease and Tissue Therapy; 1993. 27 p. Ukrainian
- Zaitseva NS, Katsnelson LA. [Uveites]. Moscow: Meditsina; 1984. Russian
- Kashintseva LT. [Secondary glaucoma and hypertension in uveitis and uveopathy]. Oftalmol Zh. 1993;5-6:257-61. Russian
- Panchenko MV. [Pathogenetic substantiation for correction of metabolic, immunologic and neurohormonal abnormalities in the management of complicated uveitis]. [Abstract of Dr Sc (Med) Dissertation]. Odesa: Filatov Institute of Eye Disease and Tissue Therapy; 2004. 37 p. Ukrainian
- Nesterov AP. [Glaucoma]. Moscow: Meditsina; 1995. Russian
- Zhaboiedov GD, Kuroiedov AV, Parkhomenko GIa. [Diagnosing glaucoma based on Heidelberg Retina Tomograph parameters]. Oftalmol Zh. 2008;6:9-15. Russian
- Rykov SA, Shargorodskaia IV, Bakbardina II, et al. [Diagnosis and treatment of glaucoma]. Kyiv: ASAVA; 2014. Russian
- Egorov EA, Egorov AE, Brezhnev AY. [Neuroprotective therapy for glaucoma]. Moscow: Aprel, 2012. Russian
- Egorov EA, Egorova TE, Shramko YT. [Efficacy of treatment with retinalamin in patients with compensated primary open-angle glaucoma]. Klinicheskaia oftalmologiia. 2016;3-7. Russian
- Khavinson VKh, Trofimova SV, Khokanen VM. [Preliminary results of the use of biological peptide regulators for treating diabetic retinopathy]. Oftalmol Zh. 1998;5:393-8. Russian
- Alekseev VN, Kozlova NV. [Use of retinalamin in patients with primary open-angle glaucoma]. Glaucoma. 2013;1:49-52. Russian
- Astakhov YS, Butin EV, Morozova NV, et al. [Outcomes of treatment with retinalamin in patients with primary open-angle glaucoma]. Glaucoma. 2016;2:43-7. Russian
- Kozlova NV. [Use of retinalamin in patients with POAG]. In: [Proceedings of Russian National Ophthalmological Forum]; 2012 Oct 3-5; Moscow (Russia): Moscow Helmholtz Institute of Eye Diseases; 2012. pp. 67-8. Russian
- Neroev VV, Kiseliova OA, Iakubova LV. [Implementing the target programme for Elimination of Curable Blindness Associated with Glaucoma]. In: [Proceedings of Russian National Ophthalmological Forum]; 2012 Oct 3-5; Moscow (Russia): Moscow Helmholtz Institute of Eye Diseases; 2012. pp. 19-26. Russian
- Zhazykbaieva KT, Zhestanbaieva AN, Dzhumataieva ZA. [Efficacy of Nucleo CMP Forte in neuroprotective treatment for glaucoma]. Mezhdunarodnyi tsentr okhrany zreniia. 2016:1-5. Russian
- Watting B, Schalow G, Madanss M, et al. Acceleration of nerve and muscle regeneration by administration of nucleotides – electroneurophysiological and morphometrical investigations. Acta Histochem Suppl. 1992;42:333-9