Effect of two week tamponade using perfluorocarbon liquid and light silicone oil on the bioelectrical functional activity in the retina in rabbits
D.V. Zhmuryk, Cand Sc (Med) 1
N.I. Khramenko, Cand Sc (Med) 2
S. B. Slobodyanik, Cand Sc (Med) 2
M.V. Miliienko, MD 1
1Kyiv Clinical Ophthalmology Hospital Eye Microsurgery Center
2Filatov Institute of Eye Diseases and Tissue Therapy, NAMS of Ukraine
Kyiv, Odessa (Ukraine)
Introduction. Using perfluorocarbon liquid (PFCL) for short-term tamponade of the vitreous cavity expands the indications to surgical treatment of retinal detachment (RD) of various genesis. However, the question about affecting action of PFCL and about the maximal safe term of tamponade is still open.
The purpose of the present paper was to determine the characteristics of the effect of two week PFCL tamponade on the bioelectrical functional activity in the rabbit’s retina and to compare the action of PFCL and light silicone oil (SO) with viscosity of 5 700 cSt in dynamics by electroretinography (ERG) at different time points after tamponade (7, 14 and 30 days).
Material and Methods. The experiment involved 6 male rabbits (12 eyes). Each animal was performed vitrectomy following 14 day tamponade with PFCL (in the right eye) and light SO. ERG was performed at baseline as well as after tamponade removal at time points of 7, 14 and 30 days.
Results. 14 day PFCL (perfluorodecalin) tamponade of the rabbit eyes induced similar bioelectric reaction in the retina, comparing to light SO tamponade (viscosity 5 700 sST). The reaction consisted of increased activity in photoreceptor and inner retinal layers at early terms and normalization of retinal functions at late terms (1 month) after tamponade removing with a decrease in inner layer reactivity.
Conclusion. PFCL can be considered as a short-term tamponade agent.
Key words: ultra structure of the retina, functional activity, electroretinography, perfluorocarbon liquids, silicone oil, experiment
- Zhmurik DV, Hramenko N, Slobodjanik SB, Milienko MV. Experimental study of the influence of short-term tamponade with perfluorine organic compounds on the bioelectric functional activity of the retina of the rabbit eye. Oftalmol Zh.2014;1:86-92. Russian.
- Zhmurik D. V., Milienko M. V. Experimental study of the influence the two-week tamponade with perfluorine organic compounds on the bioelectric functional activity of the retina of the rabbit eye. Oftalmol Zh.2014;4:88-94. Russian.
- Shkvorchenko DO. Complex surgical treatment of retinal detachments complicated by giant breaks and tears off the dentate line using liquid perfluoro organic compounds: Thesis for Candidate of Med. Science: 14.00.08. M.; 1995. 132 p.
- Shkvorchenko DO, Levina LV. On the tactic of surgical treatment of proliferative diabetic retinopathy complicated by the anterior proliferative vitreoretinopathy. Oftalmokhirurgiia. 2006;1:29- 32. In Russian.
- Brett Drury, Robert D Bourke. Short-term intraocular tamponade with perfluorocarbon heavy liquid. Br. J. Ophthalmol. 2011;95:694-698
- Chang S, Sparrow JR, Iwamoto T et al. Experimental studies of tolerance to intravitreal perfluoro-n-octane liquid. Retina. 1991;4:367-74.
- Drury B., BourkeR.D. Short-term intraocular tamponade with perfluoro carbon heavy liquid // Br. J. Ophthalmol. – 2010. – P.694-698.
- Flores-Aguilar M, Munguia D, Loeb E et al. Intraocular tolerance of perfluorooctylbromide (perflubron). Retina. 1995;1:3-13.
- Haidt, SJ, Clark, LC Jr, Ginsberg, J. Liquid perfluorocarbon replacement of the eye. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 1982;22 (suppl):233.
- Mackiewicz J, Maaijwee K, Luke C. Effect of gravity in long-term vitreous tamponade: in vivo investigation using perfluorocarbon liquids and semi-fluorinated alkanes. Graefes Arch. Clin. Exp. Ophthalmol. 2007;245:665–75.
- Miller RF, Dowling JE. Intracellular responses of the Müller (glial) cells of mudpuppy retina: their relation to b-wave of the electroretinogram. J Neurophysiol. 1970; May; 33(3):323-41.
- Norman H.J. [The International Guiding Principles for Biomedical Research Involving Animals]. Chronicles WHO. 1985; Т.39, 3: 3-9.
- Sirimaharaj M, Balachandran C, Chan WC et al. Vitrectomy with short termpost operative tamponade using perfluorocarbon liquid for giant retinal tears. Br. J. Ophthalmol. 2005;9:1176-9.
- Stolba U, Krepler K, Velikay-Parel M, Binder S. The effect of specific gravity of perfluorocarbon liquid on the retina after experimental vitreous substitution. Graefes Arch Clin. Exp. Ophthalmol. 2004;242(11):931-6.
- Zeana D., Becker J., Kuckelkorn R., Kirchhof B. Perfluorohexyloctane as a long-term vitreous tamponade in the experimental animal. Experimental perfluorohexyloctane substitution Int Ophthalmol. 1999;23(1):17-24.