On the correction of altered ocular hemodynamics in acute ischemic optic neuropathy
V.V. Savko Snr, Dr Sc (Med)
V.V. Savko Jnr, Cand Sc (Med)
Filatov Institute of Eye Disease and Tissue Therapy
Background: Vascular optic nerve disorders are the second most common incapacitating ocular condition (19%) in Ukraine. Inadequate efficacy of available therapies calls for the search of medications that would improve ocular hemodynamics in this disease.
Purpose: To investigate the influence of sulodexide on ocular hemodynamics in acute ischemic optic neuropathy.
Materials and Methods: Twenty-seven acute ischemic optic neuropathy patients (27 eyes) underwent clinical studies at baseline and after 15-day adjuvant treatment with Vessel due F (2.0 mL intramuscular injection daily). The control group included 29 acute ischemic optic neuropathy patients (29 eyes) treated by therapy without adjuvant Vessel due F. All patients underwent Doppler ultrasonography of the ophthalmic artery with LOGIQ 3 Expert (GE, USA) apparatus.
Results: After treatment, Doppler ultrasonography indices improved only in patients of the study group, with 28% increased mean peak blood flow velocity and 31% increased mean minimum blood flow velocity in the ophthalmic artery, and 15% decreased vascular resistance index. No significant changes in these parameters were observed in the controls.
Conclusion: The use of adjuvant Vessel due F corrected the altered regional ocular hemodynamics and resulted in improved treatment outcomes in acute ischemic optic neuropathy patients.
Key words: acute ischemic optic neuropathy, Doppler ultrasonography, ophthalmic artery, Vessel due F
- Kapechuk VV. [Efficacy of modified method of correction for metabolic disorders in ischemic optic neuropathy] [Abstract of Dr Sc (Med) Dissertation]. Odessa: Filatov Institute of Eye Disease and Tissue Therapy; 2010. 18 p. Ukrainian
- Konovalova NV, Naritsyna NI, Serebrina TM. [On the prevention of acute ischemic optic neuropathy]. Oftalmol Zh. 2014;(1):44-76. Russian
- Rykov SO, Varivonchik VV. [Combating blindness in the world: History, Contemporaneity and Prospects]. In: [Proceedings of the Theoretical and Practical Conference on Current Issues of Medical and Social Rehabilitation of Children with Incapacitating Ocular Disorders]; 2006 Oct 4-6; Kyiv. p.256-64. Ukrainian
- Tarasova LN, Kiseleva TN, Fokin AA. [Ocular ischemic syndrome]. Moscow: Medicine; 2003. 173 p. Russian
- Kryzhanovskaia TV. [Blidndness and visual impairment in Ukraine. Current prophylaxis issues]. In: [Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference of the Black Sea Ophthalmological Society]; 2004 Sep 8-10; Odessa. pp.7-8 Russian
- Bezdenezhna OO. [Efficacy of topical hypotensive therapy in combination treatment of ischemic optic neuropathy as manifestation of primary chronic ocular ischemic syndrome] [Abstract of Cand Sc (Med) Thesis]. Odessa: Filatov Institute of Eye Disease and Tissue Therapy; 2012. 20 p. Ukrainian
- Pavliuchenko KP, Mukhina EV, Mailian EA. [Role of antiphospholipid bodies in ischemic retinal and optic nerve disorders]. Oftalmol Zh. 2003;6:43-6. Russian
- Skripnik RL. [Optic nerve damage in diabetes mellitus]. [Abstract of Dr Sc (Med) Dissertation]. Odessa: Filatov Institute of Eye Disease and Tissue Therapy; 2005. 34 p. Ukrainian
- Eremenko AI. [Main forms of vascular optic neuropathies (clinical picture, disgnostics and treatment)] [Abstract of Dr Sc (Med) Dissertation]. Odessa: Filatov Institute of Eye Disease and Tissue Therapy; 1991. 29 p. Russian
- Eliseeva TO, Svirin AV. [Methods of treatment for ischemic conditions of the optic nerve and the retina]. Clin Ophthalm. 2002;3:106-11 Russian
- Miroshnikova LM. [Vascular optic neuropathy]. In: [Krasnov ML, Shulpina NB, Editors. Therapeutic ophthalmology]. Moscow: Medicine; 1985. pp.498-505 Russian
- Bishele NA, Eliseeva TO. [Vasoactive medications in treatment of retinal ischemic disorders]. Rus Med J. 2000;1:24-9 Russian
- Zavgorodnia NG, Sarzhevs’ka LE, Bezdenezhna OO, Bezugla OA, Zavgorodnia TS, Rudicheva OA. [Ocular ischemic syndrome: Current principles of diagnostics and treatment. Methodological Manual]. Zaporizhzhia; 2012. 248 p. Ukrainian
- Kiseleva TN, Tarasova LN. [Differential medical treatment for ocular ischemic syndrome]. Vestn Ophthalm. 2001;5:27-9 Russian
- Karimov K, Shakhmalieva A. [Efficacy of sulodexid in diabetic retinopathy]. Azerb Med J. 2002;1:72-6 Russian
- Chin HS, Kang SW, Kawak HW, et al. Effect of sulodexide in diabetic patients with mild to moderate nonproliferative retinopathy. In: Program and abstracts of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) 2011 Annual Meeting; May 1 - May 5, 2011; Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Abstract 498.
- Rubbi F, Caramazza R, Boccia S et al. The effects of sulodexide on diabetic retinopathy. Minerva Cardioangiol. 2000;48:81–82