EFFICACY OF THE APPLICATION OF A COMPLEX OF NATURAL ANTIOXIDANTS (KRATAL + VITAMIN C) IN TREATMENT OF PATIENTS WITH DIABETIC RETINOPATHY
Demin Yu. A., Lekishvili S. E.
Kharkov, Sumy, Ukraine
The article evaluated the therapeutic efficacy of the application of a complex of natural antioxidants in the patients with diabetes mellitus II type with the manifestations of diabetic retinopathy.
The study was carried out in 48 patients (96 eyes) with nonproliferative diabetic retinopathy. The basic group comprised 25 patients (50 eyes), the control group had 23 patients (46 eyes). Of them 17 (35.42 %) were men and 31 (64.58 %) women. The analysis of the clinical data showed that the use of the antioxidant complex kratal + vitamin C at the initial stages of diabetic retinopathy was most effective. The inclusion of this antioxidant complex in the complex therapy of diabetic retinopathy allowed to obtain the higher functional results.
1. Global prevalence of diabetes. Estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030 [Text] / S. Wild, G. Roglic, A. Green [et al.] // DiabetesCare. — 2004. —Vol. 27. — P. 1047- 1053.
2. Diabetes and vascular disease; Pathophysiology, clinical consequences and medical therapy. Part I [Text] / M. A. Creager, T. F. Lecher, F. Cosentino, J. A. Beckman // Circulation. — 2003. — Vol. 108. — P. 1527- 1532.
3. Guglucci, A. Glycation as the glucose link to diabetic complications [Text] / A. Guglucci // JAOA. — 2000. — Vol. 100. — P. 621- 634.
4. Receptor for advanced glycation end products (RAGE): a novel therapeutic target for diabetic vascular complication [Text] / S. Yamagishi, K. Nakamura, T. Matsui [et al.] // Curr. Pharm. Des. — 2008. — Vol. 14. — P. 487- 495.
5. McFarlane, S. I. Mechanisms by which angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors prevent diabetes and cardiovascular disease [Text] / S. I. McFarlane, A. Kumar, J. R. Sowers // Amer. J. Cardiol. — 2003. — Vol. 91, № 12. — P. 30H-37H.
6. Militante, J. D. Taurine: evidence of physiological function in the retina [Text] / J. D. Militante, J. B. Lombardini // Nutr. Neurosci. — 2002. — Vol. 5. — P. 75-90.