Effect of colloidal silver nanoparticle solution instillation on the ultrastructure of the corneal epithelium and stroma
V.A. Ulyanov, Prof., Dr. Sc. (Med.) 1
M.B. Makarova, a Postgraduate student, immunologist1, 2
N.I. Molchaniuk, Cand. Sc. (Biol.) 2
N.A. Ulyanova, Prof., Dr. Sc. (Med.) 1
V.M. Skobeeva, Cand. Sc. (Phys.-Math.) 3
E.A. Chernezhenko, a junior research fellow 2
1 Odessa National Medical University;
2 Filatov Institute of Eye Diseases and Tissue Therapy
3 Mechnikov Odessa National University
Introduction. Existing methods of treatment for bacterial keratitis do not always provide a positive therapeutic effect and do not prevent the occurrence of relapses. The main reason for this is the development of resistance of microorganisms to antibiotics. The use of silver nanoparticles with antimicrobial properties may be promising in the treatment of bacterial keratitis. However, the effect of silver nanoparticles on the structure of the cornea has not been adequately studied.
Objective: to study the effect of instillations of a colloidal solution of silver nanoparticles measuring 30 nm on the ultrastructure of the epithelium and stroma of the rabbit's cornea.
Material and Methods. The colloidal solution of silver nanoparticles 30 nm in size was instilled into the conjunctival cavity of rabbits three times a day. Ultrastructural changes in epithelial cells and corneal stroma, changes in connective tissue plates and collagen fibrils of the stroma were evaluated at Days 15 and 30 of the experiment.
Results. The effect of silver nanoparticles caused an increase in the number of ribosomes in the superficial cells of the corneal epithelium, hydrophilic changes in membrane organelles, an increase in the number of ribosomes in all cells of the basal layer, and destruction of individual organelles in single cells. In the stroma, the edema of the main substance was observed; the areas of defibration, homogenization or fragmentation of collagen fibril bundles were determined. The dystrophic changes were more severe as the duration of instillations of silver nanoparticles increased.
Conclusions. The daily instillations of the colloidal solution of silver nanoparticles measuring 30 nm in the conjunctival cavity in the course of 15 and 30 days caused the dystrophic changes in the superficial and basal cells of the corneal epithelium. In the stroma of the cornea, the dystrophic changes in keratocytes, violation of the architectonics of connective tissue plates, defibration and fragmentation of collagen fibrils were detected.
Key words: corneal ultrastructure of the epithelium and stroma, silver nanoparticles, experiment
- Drozhzhina GI, Troychenko LF. [Efficiency of autoserum instillation in treatment of corneal regeneration violations after keratoplasty] Oftalmol. Zh. 2012; 6: 6–10. Russian.
- Drozhzhina GI, Troychenko LF, Dragomiretskaya EI. [Determination of affection severity of the cornea in patients with persisting epithelial defects, torpid ulcers and disturbance of the cornea regeneration after keratoplasty]. Oftalmol Zh. 2013; 2: 5–10. Russian.
- Mishalov VD, Chaikovsky JuB, Tverdokhleb IV. [About legal, legislative, ethical standards and requirements at performance scientific researches]. Morfologiya. 2007; (2):108–115. Russian.
- Movchan B.A. [Nanotechnology in the service of ophthalmology].Glaz. 2007; 5: 7–13. Russian.
- Smyintyina V A, Skobeeva VM, Vorobyov NK. [The influence of external factors on the stability of the optical properties of silver nanoparticles]. Sensorna elektronіka і mіkrosistemnі tehnologіі. 2012; 3(9): 134–140. Russian.
- Syrma EI, Ulianov VA, Skobeeva VM. [Size dependent morphological changes of the rats skin under silver nanoparticles influence]. Visnik problem biologiyi i meditsini. 2014; 3: 284–287. Russian.
- Syrma OI, Ulianov VA, Dumbrova NE, Molchanyuk NI, Skobeeva VM. [Comparative characteristics of morphological changes of rats skin when administered silver nanoparticles of different sizes]. Svit meditsini ta biologiyi. 2015; 2 (49): 137–141. Russian.
- Ulianov VA, Makarova MB, Velichko LN, Bogdanova AV, Gaydamaka TB, Skobeeva VM. The influence of silver nanoparticles on the local immunity of the eye by modeling bacterial keratitis. Odeskij medicnij zurnal. 2016; 6(158):32–38. Russian.
- Ulianov VO, Makarova MB, Velichko LM, Bogdanova OV, Haidamaka TB, Skobeeva VM. [Effect of exchange rate instillation of silver nanoparticles 30 nm in the local immunity of the healthy eye and in a model of bacterial keratitis in rabbits]. Filatovskie chteniya – 2016 : nauchno-prakticheskaya konferentsiya s mezhdunarodnyim uchastiem, posvyaschennaya 80-letiyu s dnya osnovaniya Instituta glaznyih bolezney i tkanevoy terapii im. V.P. Filatova NAMN Ukrainyi: materialyi [Filatov memorial lectures – 2016 : Scientific-practical conference with international participation, dedicated to the 80th anniversary since the founding of the «Filatov institute of eye diseases and tissue therapy of the academy of medical science of Ukraine»)], Odessa: ТЕS, 2016:33-4. Russian.
- Ahamed M, Alsalhi М, Siddiqui М. Silver nanoparticle applications and human health. Clinica chimica acta 2011; 411: 1841–1848.
- Antony JJ, Sivalingam P, Chen B. Toxicological effects of silver nanoparticles. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2015; 40 (3): 729–732.
- Ge L, Li Q, Wang M, Ouyang J, Li X, Xing MQ. Nanosilver particles in medical applications: synthesis, performance, and toxicity. Int J Nanomedicine. 2014; 9: 2399–2407.
- Heydarnejad MS, Yarmohammadi-Samani P, Dehkordi MM, Shadkhast M, Rahnama S. Histopathological effects of nanosilver (Ag-NPs) in liver after dermal exposure during wound healing. Nanomedicine Journal 2014; 1 (3): 191–197.
- Reуnoldes ES. The use of lead citrate at high pH as an electron-opaque stain in electron microscopy. J. Cell Biol. 1963; 17: 208–212.
- Solanki S, Rathi M, Khanduja S, Dhull CS, Sachdeva S, Phogat J. Recent trends: Medical management of infectious keratitis. Oman J Ophthalmol 2015; 8(2): 83–85.
- Tang J, Xi T. Status of biological evaluation on silver nanoparticles. Sheng Wu Yi Xue Gong Cheng Xue Za Zhi. 2008; 25(4): 958-961.
- Wei L, Lu J, Xu H, Patel A, Chen Z-S, Chen G. Silver nanoparticles: synthesis, properties, and therapeutic applications. Drug Discov Today. 2015; 20(5): 595–601.
- Zhang T, Wang L, Chen Q, Chen C. Cytotoxic Potential of Silver Nanoparticles. Yonsei Med.J. 2014; 55(2): 283–291.
- Zhang XF, Liu ZG, Shen W, Gurunathan S. Silver Nanoparticles: Synthesis, Characterization, Properties, Applications, and Therapeutic Approaches. Int J Mol Sci. 2016; 17(9): 1534.