Assessment of the efficacy of the combined surgical technique for primary open-angle glaucoma and age-related cataract
V.O. Mel’nik,1 Cand Sc (Med),
N.V. Kots-Gotlib,1 MD,
R.L. Vladiuk,2 Cand Sc (Med),
O.O. Hurzhii, MD
1Visiobud, Ophthalmology Department of Medbud, Medical Theoretical and Practical Association, Kyiv
2Ivano-Frankivsk National Medical University
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgPurpose: To assess the efficacy of a combined surgical technique - combined phacoemulsification (phaco) with intraocular lens (IOL) implantation and modified tunnel trabeculopuncture, - in patients with primary open-angle glaucoma (POAG).
Materials and Methods: Postoperative intraocular pressure, mean retinal light sensitivity and optical nerve fiber thickness were used as efficacy end points.
Conclusion: The combined surgical technique is efficacious for primary open-angle glaucoma from the point of view of normalization of IOP and stabilization in the glaucoma process.
Key words: primary open-angle glaucoma, phacoemulsification with tunnel trabeculopuncture, light sensitivity, optic nerve
- Tham YC, Li Z, Wong TY et al. Global Prevalence of Glaucoma and Projections of Glaucoma Burden through 2040. Ophthalmology. 2014 Nov;121(11):2081-90.
- Shmyreva VF, Petrov SYu, Makarova AS. [Causes of and opportunities for increase in decreased long-term hypotensive effectiveness of surgical interventions for glaucoma]. Glaucoma. 2010; 2:43-9. Russian
- Nesterov AP. [Glaucoma]. Moscow: Meditsina, 2008. Russian
- European Glaucoma Society. Termonology and Guidelines for Glaucoma. 3rd ed. Savona, Italy: DOGMA.
- AGIS Investigators. The Advanced Glaucoma Intervention Study (AGIS): 11. Risk factors for failure of trabeculectomy and argon laser trabeculoplasty. Am J Ophthalmol. 2002 Oct;134(4):481-98.
- Kurysheva NI. [Ultrastructure of cataract lens in different methods for the treatment of glaucoma: a clinical and morphological study]. In: [Proceedings of the 7th Russian Ophthalmological Congress]; Moscow: 2010. p. 153. Russian
- Tachchidi KhP, Yanovskaya NP, Frankovska M. [Combined single-stage phacoemulsification with implantation of elastic IOL and non-penetrating deep sclerectomy using a sclerolimbal approach]. In: [Proceedings of the Modern Technologies of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, 6th International Theoretical and Practical Conference]. Moscow: 2005. p. 289-293. Russian
- Volkov VV. [A three-component pathogenesis-based classification of open-angle glaucoma]. Glaucoma. 2004; 1: 57-67. Russian