Peculiarities of the first aid to patients with orbital injuries
E. A. Astapenko, V. A. Malanchuk, Yu. V. Chepurnoy, I. P. Logvinenko
National Medical University named after OO Bohomolets; Kyiv (Ukraine)
The importance of this study is due to increased frequency of the middle facial zone fractures involving orbital injuries.
Aim. To increase the treatment effectiveness of patients with injuries of the middle facial zone, combined with orbital injuries by improving methods for restoration of anatomic integrity and additional eye apparatus.
Materials and methods. There were treated 157 patients with orbital injuries, the principles of an integrated approach to treatment and rehabilitation of patients were presented. A comparative analysis using bioresorptive polymer and titanium plates for osteosynthesis of fractures based on biomechanicss was performed.
Results. 1) the frequency of fractures of the middle zone face increased to 26.3 %; 2) these damages are accompanied by changes in the volume of the orbit, which can lead to aesthetic, functional impairment due to displacement of the eyeball and injuries of the eye additional apparatus; 3) in the treatment of the middle facial zone fractures bioresorptive polymer plates with screws for osteosynthesis should be used that do not require their further removal; 4) restoration of the lacrimation in total lacrimal ducts is possible using autograft from the cheek mucosa.
Key words: damage of the orbit, midface fractures, bioresorbed polymer plates.
- Azarchenko KYa. Fractures of zygomatic and orbital complex: diagnosis and treatment options. Vestnik khirurgii. 1998;6:54–7. In Russian.
- Belchenko VA. Cranio-maxillo facial surgery: a guide for physicians. M.: Meditsinskoie informatsionnoie agenstvo; 2006. 340 p.
- Bernadskii YuI. Fundamentals of oral and maxillofacial surgery and surgical dentistry. Vitebsk: Belmedkniga; 1998. 407 p.
- Logvinenko IP. Treatment of fractures of the facial complex, leading to changes in the volume of the orbit: author’s thesis for Candidate of Med. Science. 14.01.18 Eye Diseases. Kyiv, 2005. 24 p.
- Malanchuk VA. Surgical treatment of fractures of the zygomatic complex depending on the time of injury: author’s thesis for Candidate of Med. Science. 14.01.22 Stomatology. Kiev, 1984. 24 p.
- Chepurnyi YuV. Treatment of fractures of the middle part of the face, accompanied by disturbances of tear drainage: author’s thesis for Candidate of Med. Science. 14.01.22 Stomatology. Kiev, 2011. 18 p.
- Shvyrkov MB, Afanasiev VV, Starodubtsev VS. Not gunshot fractures of the jaw. Guidance. M.: Meditsina; 1999. 336 p.
- Baumann A, Ewers R. Use of the preseptal transconjunctival approach in orbit reconstructive surgery. Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. 2001;59(3):287–91.
- Consolo U, Ronchi P. Surgical Reconstruction of Orbital Fractures. Journal of Cranio-Maxillo-Facial Surgery. 1996;24(1):30.
- Becelli R, Renzi G, Perugini M et al. Craniofacial traumas: immediate and delayed treatement. J. Craniofac. Surg. 2000;11(3):265–9.
- Dawson KN, Pirinjian G. Reconstruction of the orbit following trauma. Ann. R. Australas Coll. Dent. Surg. 2000;15:343–8.
- Dolan RW, Smith DK. Superior cantholysis for zygomatic fracture repair. Arch. Facial. Plast. Surg. 2000;2(3):181–6.
- Ellis E 3rd, Kittidumkerng W. Analysis of treatement for isolated zygomaticomaxillary complex fractures. Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. 1996;54(4):386–400.
- Fox AJ, Tatum SA. The Coronal Incision: Sinusoidal, Sawtooth, and Postauricular Techniques. Arch. Facial. Plast. Surg. 2003;5:259–62.
- Hammer B. Orbital Fractures: diagnosis, operative treatment, secondary corrections. Hogrefe & Huber Publishers. 1995. 100 p.
- Khan Aayesha M, Varvares Mark A. Traditional approaches to the orbit. In: Otolaryngol. Clin. N. Am. 2006. 895–909.
- Cumberworth VL, Valentine PW, McEwan J et al. Medial orbital wall blowout fracture with medial rectus muscle entrapment. International Journal of Clinical Practice. 1997;51(7):474–5.
- Amrith S, Saw SM, Lim TC et al. Ophthalmic involvment in cranio-facial trauma. Journal of Cranio-Maxillo-Facial Surgery. 2000;28(3):140–7
- Pearl RM. Treatment of enophthalmos. Clinics in Plastic. Surgery. 1992;19(1):111.