Classification algorithm for determining the severity of structural foveal changes in patients after blunt eye injury using spectral optical coherence tomography
N. P. Grubnyk, T. A. Krasnovid, V. V. Vit
SI «Filatov Institute of Eye Diseases and Tissue Therapy of the National Academy of Medical Science of Ukraine»; Odessa (Ukraine)
Introduction. Retinal damage due to the blunt eye injury is often the cause of vision loss.
Purpose. To develop the classification algorithm to determine the severity of the foveal structural changes in patient after blunt eye injury using spectral optical coherence tomography (SOCT).
Material and Methods. We observed 43 patients after blunt eye injury, all of them underwent SOCT.
Results. It is important to determine the state of two morphological characters — ellipsoid of internal segments of photoreceptors, the outer limiting membrane using SOCT. It allows to determine the severity of structural foveal changes using SOCT.
Conclusion. The classification algorithm is found. It allows to determine the severity of structural foveal changes after blunt eye injury.
Key words: blunt eye injury, classification algorithm, severity of structural foveal changes, spectral optical coherence tomography.
- Grubnik NP, Krasnovid TA, Vit VV. A system of assessing the severity degree of the foveal structural changes according to the data of spectral optic coherent tomography and visual acuity in the eyeball contusion. Oftalmol Zh. 2015;1:41–7. In Russian.
- Gundorova RA, Neroiev VV, Kashnikov VV. Trauma of the eye. Moscow; 2009. 553 p.
- Haoyu Chen et al. Prediction of visual prognosis with spectral-domain optical coherence tomography in outer retinal atrophy secondary to closed globe trauma. Retina. 2013;33:1258–62.
- Oh J et al. Commotio retinae with spectral domain optical coherence tomography. Retina.2011;31:2044–9.
- M Saleh et al. Long-term outcomes of acute traumatic maculopathy. Retina. 2011;31:2037–43.
- Seong Joon Ahn. Optical coherence tomography morphologic grading of macular commotio retinae and its association with anatomic and visual outcomes. Am J Ophthalmol. 2013;156:994–1001.
- Souza-Santos F et al. Spectral domain optical coherence tomography in patients with commotio retinae. Retina. 2012;32:711–718.13.
- Spaide RF, Сurcio СА. Аnatomical correlates to the bands seen in the outer retina by optical coherence tomography: Literature Review and Model. Retina. 2011;31(8):1609–19.
- Srinivasan VJ et al. Characterization of outer retinal morphology with high-speed, ultrahigh-resolution optical coherence tomography. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008;49:1571–9.